𝗚𝗿𝗼𝗲𝗻 𝗦𝗲𝗯𝗲𝗻𝘇𝗮 𝗙𝗶𝗿𝗲 𝗥𝗶𝘀𝗸 𝗥𝗲𝗱𝘂𝗰𝘁𝗶𝗼𝗻 𝗜𝗻𝘁𝗲𝗿𝗻𝘀𝗵𝗶𝗽
Groen Sebenza is a capacity building program funded by the Department of Environmental Affairs aimed at developing priority skills in the Natural Resource Management sector to help create sustainable employment and business opportunities for the sector. Groen (in Afrikaans meaning green) Sebenza (meaning work in isiZulu) brings young South Africans from previously disadvantaged backgrounds together with experienced natural resource management experts to learn, grow and eventually gain the competence and confidence to embark on rewarding and meaningful natural resources management or related careers.
𝙋𝙪𝙧𝙥𝙤𝙨𝙚 𝙤𝙛 𝙩𝙝𝙚 𝙋𝙤𝙨𝙞𝙩𝙞𝙤𝙣:
Landowners and landusers need to be better informed about the effects of climate change on fire risk, the necessity of managing fire with fire, an awareness of the positive benefits of prescribed burning, the negative impact of unwanted fires on the environment and the impact that invasive alien plants (IAPs) have on fire risk. This mindfulness can result in more resilient communities and ecosystems and a reduction in asset losses and the cost of fighting wildfires. The intern will work with the Greater Overberg Fire Protection Association (goFPA) in order to raise awareness levels of fire risk reduction with landowners and landusers with the focus on identified high risk entities outside the urban edges.
• Must be a South African citizen
• Possess a valid, South African Code 08 driver’s license
• Must provide own housing
• Must be fluent in English and Afrikaans or Xhosa (Written and spoken)
• Must be competent in Microsoft Office suite
• Matric exemption
• Knowledge of Integrated Fire Management
• A tertiary qualification, preferably in science, conservation or forestry management
• Be familiar with the National Veld and Forest Fire Act no. 101 of 1998 (NV&FFA)
• Experience in fire-fighting operations
• Own transport
• Energetic and self-motivated.
• To support Fire Protection Associations (FPAs) with aspects of Integrated Fire Management (IFM), specifically risk reduction.
• To assist in rolling out an awareness campaign in each FPA area.
• To work with a mentor and monitor and evaluate efficacy of advocacy.
• Admin and reporting support
• To work with a mentor to identify opportunities for self-development and identify additional training needs
• Write quarterly feedback reports for NRM on internship progression
Candidates need to be under 35 years of age and currently unemployed. The intern will be expected to travel to Cape Town for a week to do training and to attend training courses as identified by the FPA and the mentor.
The intern will be based with the goFPA in Bredasdorp.
𝗖𝗹𝗼𝘀𝗶𝗻𝗴 𝗗𝗮𝘁𝗲: 𝟭𝟳 𝗙𝗲𝗯𝗿𝘂𝗮𝗿𝘆 𝟮𝟬𝟮𝟬
𝗣𝗹𝗮𝗻𝗻𝗲𝗱 𝗦𝘁𝗮𝗿𝘁𝗶𝗻𝗴 𝗗𝗮𝘁𝗲: 𝗔𝗦𝗔𝗣
Please forward a covering letter, a CV (max 3 pages) with 3 credible and contactable references for attention Louise Wessels to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Appointment will be subject to a compulsory three-month probationary period. The appointment is for one year, with the potential of a year to year extension depending on performance and funding. The stipend is set by the Department of Environment, Forestry and Fisheries. This project is committed to the principles of Employment Equity. Preference will be given to HDI candidates and females. If you have not heard from us within 21 working days after the closing date, please consider your application as unsuccessful. Greater Overberg Fire Protection Association reserves the right not to make an appointment.