- The Thursday evening Festival Opening is by invite only.
- But happy to announce that the weekend ticket for all speakers and the rest of the festival is only R150, or get a day ticket at R100 or just a session ticket at R50
- The Friday morning starts as early as 9:00 with some amazing local writers that would kick off the day with a bang. Support Local!!!
- On Friday evening well-informed and opinionated political commentators like Jan-Jan Joubert and Prof Christi van der Westhuizen will look into the crystal ball to predict a few likely scenarios for the post-election political landscape in the country. Prof Jonathan Jansen will lead this panel discussion.
- To end the evening on the right note – Join the Free concert – music by local artists.
- Saturday is full of surprises and a non-stop supply of Food and Coffee by Square Tomato and Roux Bean
- Saturday morning Ernie Mellet of the Amateur Skrywersbond will host a writer’s workshop in the KWV Building; book your spot for as little as R30. Contact Ernie on 079 333 0055.
- Don’t miss the Panel discussion on Agriculture on Saturday afternoon.
- Saturday evening will end with tasting some local wine – grabbing a lovely snack or meal and attending the a cabaret-style show, Adam Small: Ons Salueer Jou, dedicated to the writings of this beloved poet, with music composed and performed by the Tribal Echo Trio. Ticket for this show is sold separately at only R70 per ticket.
- The Festival ends on Sunday, with a final panel discussion, From Church to Community Builder – A New Role for Religious Institutions. Panelists including Rev Spiwo Xapile, senior pastor of JL Zwane Memorial Church in Guguletu, and Rev Michelle Boonzaaier of Inclusive and Affirming Ministries, will discuss whether religious institutions have what it takes to be community builders. Carel Anthonissen, previous director of the Centre for Christian Spirituality, and a poet in his own right, will lead this discussion. This is a COMPLETELY FREE OFFERING FOR ALL!!!! So no need for even a weekend ticket to attend this.
All tickets and enquiries at the Montagu-Ashton Tourism office.
We want to take this opportunity to thank all the accommodation establishments that graciously offered free accommodation for the various writers and performers – it is really much appreciated.
Also a thank you to the Main Sponsors, Wesgro and Cape Winelands District Municipality and other wonderful supporters such as, MWS, Chas Everitt, Montagu Dried Fruit and Nuts (Now Montagu Snacks), The Montagu Museum, The KWV Complex, Amateur Skrywersbond en Dream Hotel School. Also thank you to Jonkmanshof and Riana Scheepers for an amazing offering of a Word and Food Writing Course – a very special Winter fest in the run up to the Book Festival.
In general – a huge thank you to all of Montagu and Ashton for their support and co-operation that makes these kind of Winter Fests a big success.