SWELLENDAM WINTER SCHOOL
WHAT IS YOUR RESPONSE TO THIS CONCEPT?
Please click HERE to respond to a short survey
A group of Swellendammers are organizing the Swellendam Winter School (SWS)
The intent is to create an opportunity for Elders (mostly over 60’s, but all welcome!) to visit Swellendam during the winter months of 2019 to develop new skills, connect to make new friends and have new experiences in a very attractive, history rich small town.
SWS would offer 5 day and 3 day courses (during the week) with the following 8 themes:
- FOOD: courses on designing a menu, bread baking, cake decorating, vegetarian dishes, cheese making, wine tasting tours etc
- ARTS AND CRAFTS: courses on candle making, knitting, crocheting, soap making, carpentry, interior decorating, material printing etc
- FINE ARTS: courses on botanical art (water colours) wrting, photography, mandala, painting, pottery etc
- PLANTS: Courses on gardening (designing a garden, organic gardening, permaculture, growing vegetables, succulents and fynbos/renosterveld tours etc
- BIRDS AND BEASTS: courses on bird watching, bird photography, visits to Bontebok Park, Kwetu game farm, bees and bee keeping etc
- PERSONAL DEVELOPMENT: courses including yoga, meditation, dieting, thinking skills, mastering mentoring, finance for seniors etc
- HERITAGE: courses on Cape Dutch architecture, conservation, fossils, walking tours, architecture in Swellendam, Khoi and San history
- ADVENTURE AND EXERCISE: gentle activities for seniors, including walks, cycling, horse riding, canoeing; motorcycle maintenance and rides.
Courses will be offered at Introductory or Advanced levels, and could be in English or Afrikaans. Facilitators will be Swellendammers who have deep expertise and are passionate about their topic.
A variety of venues will be used, with some courses taking place entirely on farms.
|3 day COURSE||5 day COURSE|
|Mon||Arrive. Check in||Wkshop 1||Restaurant|
|Tue||Arrive||Wkshop 1||Wkshop 2||Wkshop 3||Restaurant|
|Wed||Wkshop 2||Wkshop 3||Wkshop 4||Wkshop 5||Restaurant|
|Thur||Wkshop 4||Depart||Wkshop 6||Wkshop 7||Restaurant|
INVESTMENT: as this is not a profit making venture, the intention is to keep fees as low as possible, with 2 options:
Illustrative examples (which may change!):
- All inclusive: all accommodation, meals, venue, course fees and transport are included: R5000 for a 5 day course and R3000 for a 3 day course Participants only pay for their drinks and personal purchases.
- Do It Yourself: participants book and pay for their accommodation and meals: R2500 for a 5 day and R1750 for a 3 day course